WELCOME TO THE RENTON HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT (HOME OF THE REDHAWKS!)
Parents and Students,
Fall Registration is now open in FamilyID for Athletics. Fall sports include Boys: Cross Country, Football, Golf, Tennis; Girls: Cross Country, Soccer, Swim and Dive, and Volleyball. Remember physicals are good for two years. If you need a physical, book your appointments now so that your athlete can start on the first day of practices. Be sure to be completely registered in FamilyID before turning in your physical to the Athletics Office. Please don’t wait until the last minute to register because it usually takes a few days to process your registration.
7/1/2022: FamilyID fall registration was opened. Use this link to register: https://www.familyid.com/organizations/renton-high-school
8/17/2022: Football practices begin
8/22/2022: All other fall sports practices begin
9/9/22: FamilyID will close for fall sports
9/30/22: Grade checks due for those on probation
10/7/22: Grade checks due for all others not on probation
If you have questions about tryouts and/or practices, contact the following:
Cross Country – Michael King
Football - Mark Cross
(Boys) Golf – TBD (Co-op in conjunction with Lindbergh)
(Boys) Tennis – Bao Trinh
Girls Soccer - Rebecca Swanson
Girls Swim and Dive - Diane Pavelin
Volleyball – Moeifaga Sailiai
Parent/Athlete Step-by-Step Athletic Registration Instructions:
- Go to https://www.familyid.com/organizations/renton-high-school
- To create a new account, click "Sign Up" (top right corner of page or go to your existing account).
- Click “Sign up as a Family or Individual.”
- Complete the registration questions, then click the “I agree” statement and click "Sign Up".
- Once your registration is completed you will receive an email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Then, you will Log into Renton’s FamilyID webpage (https://www.familyid.com/organizations/renton-high-school) and select Fall 2022 Athletic Registration.
- Complete the FamilyID online registration and click the “Save & Continue” button.
- Review the Registration Details and click “Confirm Registration.”
- Review and click “I Agree-Confirm My Registration.”
- You can upload a physical right onto the account so that it is ready for the actual season.
- Payment required to participate in sports ASB card = $30 and Sports fee = $75. If you qualify for Free and Reduced lunches (a new form must be filled out each year), discounts will be applied to both after your submitted form is approved.
- If you are unable to pay these fees, and THIS IS THE ONLY THING PREVENTING YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN YOUR SPORT, you can still participate if you make arrangements with Ms. Carlson in the ASB office. Her hours are from 8am –2:00pm. She can assist you in either setting up a payment plan or determining whether your family should fill out the attached 22-23 Free and Reduced Lunch Form which may qualify you for a reduced rate.
- If a Free or Reduced Lunch form is required, it must be returned to the ASB Office within 7 days.
- Your family may also choose to fill out the Free and Reduced Lunch form on line: Free and Reduced Lunch Application
- Once you have met and made arrangements with Ms. Carlson, you can proceed with clearing and participating in sports.
- You must come into RHS to get your final Clearance Form signed off by both Ms. Carlson in the ASB Office and Ms. Trezza in the Athletics Office to be eligible to participate in managing or practicing in any sport.
Physicals: You must have a valid physical on file in athletic office and/or uploaded into FamilyID. Physicals are good for 2 years and cannot expire within the season. You no longer have to drop off hard copies. We PREFER you to upload the physical into your FamilyID Account. Physicals are now valid for two years. We encourage you to contact your personal physician for a physical. However, HealthPoint locations are also available. You can go online and complete the registration to get a physical through them.
Nurse’s Office: Students that require Individual Health Plans (IHP) due to Life Threatening Illness must have current and up to date plans in Nurse’s Office. All immunizations/vaccinations must be up to date. Please contact Nurse Danica McLain if you any questions: Danica.McLain@rentonschools.us
Eligibility: WIAA Academic Eligibility states that a student must be passing a minimum of 4 out 5 classes to be eligible to participate and RSD requires that athletes must have a 2.0 GPA to participate. Prior to practices an initial eligibility will be determined for fall sports. Students will either be “on probation” or “not on probation.” Before an athlete participates in tryouts or practice, please confirm that they have been cleared to do so by the RHS Athletic Assistant, Carmen Trezza, or after Sept. 1, Robert Jangala. To maintain eligibility, during the current trimester, the student shall: pass 4 classes in a 5-period class schedule and have a current GPA of 2.0 above. For fall sports, incoming 9th graders: must receive a grade of 2 or higher on Standard based Grade Reporting in a minimum of 4 out of 6 classes. 9th graders are not required to meet the WIAA previous semester requirement for initial eligibility.
This year, a new WIAA amendment has changed the fall grade check process.
WIAA Amendment 18.7.6: Allows a student to be placed on academic probation at the start of the fall sports season if they failed to meet grade requirements for the 3rd trimester of the previous school year.
Meaning, that if a student did not meet the District and /or WIAA Academic requirements the previous trimester (June 2022), then they are on academic probation (not suspension) and can participate in practice and games until September 30th.
If they fail to meet the grade requirements on September 30th, they will then be suspended for 3 weeks. If they meet the requirements at the September 30th grade check date, then they are no longer on academic probation.
Fall Grade Check Dates
August 17-22nd – Initial eligibility determined
- The previous trimester (June 2022) grades will be used to determine initial eligibility.
Friday, September 30th - Grade Check for those on Initial Academic Probation
- Use current grades via tracers
- Coaches may pick up tracers for their teams beginning on Wednesday, September 28th
- All tracers must be turned in to the Athletic Office by Friday, September 30th at 2:30pm. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Students who meet the requirements on the September 30th grade check date are no longer on academic probation.
- Students who fail to meet the grade requirements on September 30th will be suspended for 3 weeks.
Friday, October 7 - Mid-season grade check for all those who were not on the initial Academic Probation.
- Use current grades via tracers
- Coaches may pick up tracers for their teams beginning on Wednesday, October 5th
- All tracers must be turned in to the Athletic Office by Friday, October 7th at 2:30pm. NO EXCEPTIONS
Fees: ASB Card is $30, and Sports fee is $75. If you qualify for free and reduced lunches, these prices have been drastically reduced. You must fill out a free and reduced lunch form to qualify for these and other benefits.
Spectators: Renton High School will be allowing spectators at all RSD Athletic venues. We are using HomeTown ticketing. Please contact the VNN website at: VNN website to purchase advance tickets to games (See top right-hand corner.) More information will follow regarding how to purchase tickets in advance.
We are providing livestream viewing of sporting events in our gyms
We are working to offer complete, up to date athletic schedules on the Arbiter Live Website: Arbiter Live Website. We ask that you continue to be flexible with our everchanging times, locations etc. due to the Covid-19 pandemic and circumstances often beyond our control.
Please continue to check the Renton School District website for the latest updates regarding sports: https://www.rentonschools.us/learning-and-teaching/athletics-and-activities
We are looking forward to an awesome fall season in athletics!!!!
Assistant Principal/Athletic Director