Letters of Recommendation
STEPS TO TAKE
First: Find out if letters of recommendation are actually required for your college or place of employment.
Second: Ask the person you would like to write a letter of recommendation at least 3 weeks before the deadline.
- Make sure to provide them with the following information:
- What the letter is for--name of college(s) or scholarship(s) or employment.
- Application Deadline
- How it should be submitted--by the student? to a portal? through the mail? If mail, provide a stamped envelope.
- Complete the Letter of Recommendation Form, save the form, and email it to your counselor.
- A copy of your Academic Resume.
Send a thank you note to people who take the time to write you a letter.
sample letter request
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation
Dear (Mr/Ms/Mrs/Mx) Name
Thank you for being willing to write me a letter of recommendation in support of my college application. This letter will give you a better idea of the classes and activities that I have been involved with throughout my high school years (also see my attached résumé).
The other people who I am asking to write me a letter of recommendation are Mrs. Example Name (Spanish), Mr. Example Name (English), and Mrs. Example Name (Principal).
I am asking each person to focus on different aspects of my background, character, academics, and activities so the college will get a broad sense of my life and skills.
Could you please comment on some of the following points in your letter?
- My grade in your (name of class) class is (list grade).
- My participation in your class and contributions.
- My involvement in helping other students with chemistry homework, especially students who had a difficult time with the subject.
- My project/presentation titled:
- My goal of attending a college that has a strong science department. I plan to continue to take science courses and major in a basic science to prepare for a career as a nurse practitioner. I am very excited to be the first in my family to attend college. My parents were farm workers in Bakersfield where I was born. Although most of my older brothers and sisters graduated from high school, none have attended college. Since my parents do not speak English, I have learned to be independent in my search for colleges and financial aid. I am very appreciative of the support from many of the teachers at Delano High School. (this is an example)
I appreciate you taking the time to write this letter of recommendation. Please let me know if you need any other information from me. Your support means a lot!
The letter is due on (date). Please use the attached envelope to mail the letter directly to the college (remember to check the college requirements).
Thank you again.