Letters of Recommendation
STEPS TO TAKE
First: Find out if letters of recommendation are actually required for your college or place of employment.
Second: Ask the person you would like to write a letter of recommendation at least 3 weeks before the deadline.
Make sure to provide them with the following information:
● What the letter is for--name of college(s) or scholarship(s) or employment.
● Application Deadline
● How it should be submitted--by the student? to a portal? through the mail? If mail, provide a stamped envelope.
● Complete the Letter of Recommendation Form , save the form, and email to your counselor
● A copy of your Academic Resume.
Send a thank you note to people who take the time to write you a letter.
sample letter request
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation
Dear (Mr/Ms/Mrs/Mx) Name
Thank you for being willing to write me a letter of recommendation in support of my college application. This letter will give you a better idea of the classes and activities that I have been involved with throughout my high school years (also see my attached résumé).
The other people who I am asking to write me a letter of recommendation are Mrs. Example Name (Spanish), Mr. Example Name (English), and Mrs. Example Name (Principal).
I am asking each person to focus on different aspects of my background, character, academics, and activities so the college will get a broad sense of my life and skills.
Could you please comment on some of the following points in your letter?
My grade in your (name of class) class is (list grade).
· My participation in your class and contributions.
· My involvement in helping other students with chemistry homework, especially students who had a difficult time with the subject.
· My project/presentation titled:
· My goal of attending a college that has a strong science department. I plan to continue to take science courses and major in a basic science to prepare for a career as a nurse practitioner. I am very excited to be the first in my family to attend college. My parents were farm workers in Bakersfield where I was born. Although most of my older brothers and sisters graduated from high school, none have attended college. Since my parents do not speak English, I have learned to be independent in my search for colleges and financial aid. I am very appreciative of the support from many of the teachers at Delano High School. (this is an example)
I appreciate you taking the time to write this letter of recommendation. Please let me know if you need any other information from me. Your support means a lot!
The letter is due on (date). Please use the attached envelope to mail the letter directly to the college (remember to check the college requirements).
Thank you again.