Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes.
Renton High School students who participate in Running Start are responsible to keep themselves informed about the RHS school calendar and activities.
Once you begin your college courses, you will be considered a "regular" college student. You will be in classes with adults of all ages. Students are expected to meet class deadlines, be prepared for class, ask questions and conduct themselves as responsible adults.
You will receive both high school and college credit after you successfully complete your classes.
Is Running Start Right for You?
Consider the Pros:
· If you find traditional high school doesn't fit your career goals, you may find what you need at a community college.
· You can earn up to two years of tuition-free college credit, getting a head start on your career goal.
· You may have the opportunity to take elective courses that are not offered at RHS.
Academically prepared students have an opportunity to take advanced level courses.
Consider the Cons:
· The social network is very different, and you will be in class with adults of all ages from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. You may miss out on the high school experience (This is the only time you will ever be in high school.)
· The college operates on a quarter system, while most high schools operate on semesters. Holidays and vacation periods are frequently different. Students are expected to attend classes at the college even though their high schools may not be in session. Careful planning must occur to avoid conflicts with family and school activities.
· Books and supplies are the responsibility of the student. Transportation is also the responsibility of the student.
· Students are starting a permanent college transcript when they take any college classes.
How to Get Started:
Make an appointment with your high school counselor to to discuss how Running Start could work with your educational career/plans. Students must have the Running Start Verification form filled out by their counselor, which specifies which classes they are permitted to take at the college.
Ms. Pike, last names A-Da: email@example.com
Ms. Guillet, last names De-K: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. White, last names L-Q: email@example.com
Ms. Ibrahim, last names R-Z: firstname.lastname@example.org
Make an appointment to see a college advisor and to register at the college you plan to attend.