Scroll to the bottom for MASCOT ANNOUNCEMENT!
At the April 14th, 2021 school board meeting, Superintendent Dr. Damien Pattenaude announced that Renton High School will be changing their mascot.
Questions? Email email@example.com
A committee has been formed to best ensure that all stakeholders in the Renton High School community are represented and have a voice in the process. The committee includes students, staff, and alumni. While the committee oversees the selection process of a new mascot, they will lean on the input of the entire Renton High School community to make any final decisions.
- Vanessa Barut-del Fierro, Librarian, Committee Chair
- Giovanna San Martin, Principal
- Earline Bala, Community Advocate, Former Native Ed Director, RHS Alumni
- Nemasia Moala, RSD Native Ed Director
- Rashaad Powell, Dean of Students, Coach, RHS Alumni ('99)
- Marvice Thornton, Math Teacher, RHS Alumni ('94)
- Malcolm Collie, IB Coordinator
- Heather Moore, ASB Director, CTE Teacher, Student Relations Sub-Committee
- Christopher Clifford, Marketing Teacher, Student Relations Sub-Committee
- Student Representatives: Kevin Davis (11), Heaven Muse (12), Lillian Pham (10), Jordan Vieira (11), Laila Vieira (9), and Max Vu (10)
|May 13th||Committee Meeting #1|
|May 17th - 28th||Open Submissions*|
|June 3rd||Committee Meeting #2 (select semi-finalists)|
|June 8th||Committee Meeting #3 (select finalists)|
|June 11th-18th||Surveys *|
|June 21st||Committee Meeting (review survey results and select mascot)|
|June 24th||Public Announcement|
Idea submissions and surveys will be open to all current RHS students, current RHS staff, and all RHS Alumni.
- SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED -
Submissions will be accepted from any current RHS students, current RHS staff, and all RHS alumni. The submission window ends at 11:59pm on May 28th.
The new mascot should:
- Reflect Renton High School’s motto: pride, tradition, excellence;
- Reflect the spirit of Henry Moses: determination, bravery, strength;
- Honor, in some capacity, a connection to Coast Salish Indigenous culture;
- Be broadly relevant across the entire RHS community, including the student body and alumni;
- Work equally well for all sports teams in all seasons and types of sports;
- Easily translate in a visually pleasing manner;
- Inspire school spirit.
*There is no intent to change the current school colors; they will remain red and white.
Thank you to all students, staff, and alumni that submitted ideas!
- The submission window was May17th-28th. We had 72 total responses representing 36 total mascot ideas; 41.7% students, 31.9% alumni, and 26.4% staff.
- The committee will be meeting over the next two weeks to engage in the process of narrowing the 36 individual ideas to 3-5 finalists that will be voted on by students, staff, and alumni. Surveys will take place June 11th-18th. More info soon.
- The committee met two more times, on June 3rd and June 8th. Guided by the submission criteria, they successfully narrowed 36 ideas down to 12 and then eventually down to a top 3.
- Check back here on June 11th for a survey open to all students, staff, and alumni to give the committee input on the finalists. This survey data is extremely important in guiding the committee in making a final decision.
The finalists have been chosen. They are, in no particular order, RedHawks, Wolves, and Grizzlies. Let the committee know which one you like. Click on the survey that fits you. Surveys will be open June 11th-18th.
The committee met and discussed the top three options and the survey results. With this guidance they have selected...RENTON REDHAWKS!